With the change in weather, sneeze, coughs and runny nose are in full swing. The viral in the air have been activated and immunity levels have drop down. Our daily activities, physical and mental well-being gets affected. So let us learn more about the Common Cold and building our immunity to help us heal naturally.
There are 100 different types of viruses and if even one gets into the body we catch cold. Once a cold virus attacks the body, our immune system launches a counter attack to defend the body. This response from the body is in the form of cough, stuffed nose, runny nose and headaches. The common cold infects the upper respiratory system. These viruses are contagious. We can contract them when someone affected sneezes, coughs, or even by touching infected surfaces. Because there are 200 sub types of viruses that can cause cold, our body can rarely build resistance to all of them. Hence the name common cold, it often returns with the SNEEZE. According to CDC (Centre for Disease Control and Prevention), adults get 2-3 colds and children get around 12 colds per year.
Cold results in sneeze, headache, runny nose, sore throat and fever. A strong immune system will help to recover from cold without medication. The lower the
immunity, the longer the healing process.
NATURAL REMEDIES THAT HEAL COLD
1. Take 1 inch ginger, one clove garlic, 3 peppercorns, 2 cloves, 2 cardamoms, and one inch cinnamon stick, mash and boil in water. Reduce to half, strain and add honey. Drink this concoction twice or thrice.
2. Do not over eat - When sick, body needs time to heal do not over eat and give time for body to heal.
3. Hydrate- Drink plenty of fluids because cold leads to water loss from body, increasing the chances of dehydration. Soups are a good way to increase consumption of fluids during cold.
4. Raw turmeric drink- Boil ½ inch raw turmeric or ¼ tsp turmeric powder in a cup of water for 5 min, add honey and drink this. Curcumin in turmeric, help increase immunity. The antiviral and antibacterial properties of turmeric help fight infections
5. Steam inhalation- Boil water in open vessel; add 2 drops of eucalyptus oil. Cover head with a towel and slowly inhale. Do this morning and evening for 10 minutes. This helps cure blocked and stuffy nose and chest congestion.
6. Rest- When we limit our screen time and mobility, body gets more resources to fight cold. Do not exert. Breathing exercise, relaxation and walking are good to help the body fight cold.
Stay healthy and strong.